Portable, healthy, and easy to make. Can you ask for any more in a snack?!
These dark chocolate cherry granola bars check all those boxes and more. You can make them ahead, store them in the fridge or freezer, and take them with you whenever you need a healthier pick-me-up.
A twist on my granola bar base, these chocolate cherry granola bars always remind me of the fall & winter seasons. The flavor combination of chocolate and cherry just screams “cooler days ahead,” even if it’s still 89º in Florida.
Here’s a rundown of the ingredients in these chocolate cherry granola bars:
- Dried cherries: I prefer to buy unsweetened cherries, because I like a lower-sugar granola bar.
- Pistachios: I love the flavor combination of the cherries, chocolate and pistachios taking center stage!
- Dark Chocolate: I use Valrhona chocolate in these bars. It’s a super high quality chocolate, which I opt to use because I want my snacks to be super satisfying and indulgent. I also recommend Guittard chocolate as well!
- Rolled Oats: you simply cannot make granola bars without quality rolled oats!
- Chia Seeds: these add a little something extra– a slightly nutty flavor and a bit of extra protein and fiber, which helps keep you full!
- Flax Seed: ground flaxseed adds another layer of nutty flavor, while also adding fiber.
- Pumpkin Seeds: I started adding pumpkin seeds to the base of my granola bar recipe; because I love their flavor. If it’s not something you like, you can swap them out with another nut!
- Mashed Bananas: the bananas act kind of like the “glue” that keeps these granola bars together.
- Maple Syrup: this is the only ingredient that adds sweetness to the recipe, so you can add as much or as little as you like!
- Spices & Seasonings: I opt for salt, vanilla, cinnamon, and sometimes even ginger in these bars!