When I started thinking about the 12 Drinks of Christmas, I knew I wanted to light something on fire.
And when I thought about lighting something on fire, I knew I had to make another Home Alone cocktail.
Who could forget Kevin’s antics, and his particular propensity for pyrotechnics. He sure did know how to set a trap or two. That’s why I couldn’t just stop at one Home Alone cocktail for the 12 Drinks of Christmas! This cocktail is an ode to Harry and Marv’s newfound freedom in Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, when they transformed into “The Sticky Bandits.” Still, the two best bad guys in Christmas movie history couldn’t catch a break from Kevin McCallister.
This drink is a strong one…
It’s served in a small glass with a large cube of ice. We love this ice cube mold we got from my dad one Christmas. The True Cubes mold makes it super easy to get large, clear ice cubes that make the perfect accompaniment to any cocktail. Especially stronger drinks that are meant to be sipped, like this one!
Barenjäger Honey Liqueur layers over a pour of Diplomático Rum and Cointreau to give this drink it’s sweet and sticky flavor. Lemon slices garnish the glass. A colossal cube of ice is topped with a lemon slice and sugar cube with a dash of lemon extract. Why the lemon extract? Because it lights on fire extremely easily. Seriously. Only a *dash* is needed. At first I soaked a cube in lemon extract and got an inferno. So use caution when playing with fire. You don’t want to have to do any major renovations this holiday season like Kevin’s Uncle Rob.
When you add too much lemon extract…you’re going to get a BIG flame!
Slightly sweet, but mostly strong, and set on FIRE, this Home Alone cocktail is a sure to make your spirits bright.
- 1 oz Diplomático Reserva Exclusiva Rum
- ½ oz Cointreau
- 1 oz Bärengäjer Honey Liqueur
- ½ oz Simple Syrup
- Lemon Slices, to garnish
- Sugar Cube
- Lemon Extract–just a dash
- Place a lemon slices and a large ice cube into desired glass, top with a lemon slice.
- Combine all liquors and simple syrup in a shaker, give a few shakes to mix and then pour overtop cube into glass.
- Top the lemon slice on the ice cube with a sugar cube, and add a drop of two of lemon extract.
- Light sugar cube on fire, and let it burn out.
- Remove the cube before consuming, either by taking it off the lemon slice or dropping it into the drink.