After over a decade of creating home-crafted beverages, you learn to get a little creative. This refreshing homemade pumpkin spice soda recipe combines the classic flavors of pumpkin spice with sparkling water for a seasonal soda that’s perfect for fall. It has a deep, sweet and spicy pumpkin flavor that is sure to make everyone feel comfy and cozy!
This recipe is inspired by my pumpkin spice simple syrup. It’s the perfect recipe to keep on hand all season long, when you are in the mood to turn every beverage into a pumpkin-inspired drink! 👻 This soda is also easily made into a cocktail, just add an ounce or two of vodka or rum for a quick and spooky libation!Jump to Recipe
💕 why you'll love this pumpkin spice soda recipe
🎃 seasonal & fun. This pumpkin spice soda is a bubbly, seasonal, fun way to enjoy the flavors of pumpkin spice! The best part is that it doesn’t have only spices, but actual real pumpkin flavor!
🍂 cozy & refreshing. This soda is both cozy and inviting and crisp and refreshing. The warming spices bring the perfect fall flavor, while the crisp seltzer water keeps things light and bubbly.
♻️ easy to customize. When you are making your own sodas at home, you can customize them to your liking. You can make it as sweet as you like, and you can add whipped cream, heavy cream, or non-dairy milk to make a beverage closer to an Italian soda!
- pumpkin spice simple syrup - you’ll need to use this recipe for pumpkin spice simple syrup, if you don’t have it already prepared. This simple syrup tastes like liquid pumpkin pie, and it adds a layer of sweetness, spiciness, and warmth to your beverages!
- soda water - plain, unflavored soda water, or seltzer water, is the best base for this recipe. You can also substitute club soda. Do not use mineral water or tonic water as they have additional minerals or ingredients like quinine that alter the flavor of the final soda.
- ice - You’ll need a glass full of ice to keep this soda frosty cold. Use whatever ice you like, in any size. Pebble ice makes for a great display in the glass, but cocktail ice works just as nicely!
See the recipe card for exact quantities.
All about bubbly water
All bubbles are not created equal, in fact, some are put in after manufacturing and some occur naturally! Here is a quick breakdown of the kinds of carbonated beverages available.
- seltzer water aka soda water aka sparkling water - unflavored water with carbonation added. No minerals are added, so the flavor profile is clean and pure. Sometimes called sparkling water, or soda water, and can be used interchangeably in any recipe noting either name.
- sparkling mineral water - usually naturally carbonated from the source of the water, like springs or wells. They also naturally contain minerals, which affect the flavor based on the mineral content. Sparkling mineral water is not interchangeable in recipes calling for seltzer water or sparkling water, because of the additional flavors added from the minerals.
- club soda - water that has carbon dioxide added, then had minerals added. The minerals that are added depend on the manufacturer, and they can sometimes give the club soda a slightly salty flavor. This can be handy in sweeter drinks, or cocktails. Because the taste difference is slight, club soda can usually be used interchangeably in recipes calling for soda water, sparkling water, or seltzer.
- tonic water - water that is carbonated and then has minerals added, with the most notable being quinine (pronounced kwai-nine). Quinine has a bitter flavor, so some brands of tonic water also add sugar or syrups to their beverages. Tonic is not interchangeable for soda water, seltzer, or club soda.
Step 1: Fill your preferred glass with ice.
Step 2: Add pumpkin spice simple syrup to the glass.
Step 3: Fill the rest of the glass with unflavored soda water.
Step 4: Top with whipped cream, which is optional, but delicious.
Step 5: Garnish with a light dusting of pumpkin spice or a mellowcreme pumpkin for a fun touch.
Step 6: You can also garnish with a cinnamon stick. Serve immediately.
Hint: Serve your pumpkin spice soda quickly after making it to preserve the maximum amount of bubbles!
Want more seasonal entertaining ideas? Subscribe to the mailing list below!
🍽️ serving tips
How and When to Serve Your Soda
- This beverage is best served immediately after making because of the bubbly seltzer water.
- You can serve it at a party or Halloween movie night for a sweet and refreshing treat!
- It's also a great soda to serve at birthday parties during the month of October or as a mocktail for Halloween parties.
Choose Your Glass
- Pick a glass that can hold at least 12 - 16 ounces so you can use a whole can of seltzer water + your syrup and ice.
- You can use a smaller glass and split a can of seltzer water between two servings.
- Choose a fun cocktail glass like champagne flutes if you want to serve this as a mocktail!
ℹ️ troubleshooting tips
Make sure to use unflavored seltzer water, or sparkling water, for this recipe. Do not use sparkling mineral water or tonic water, as it changes the flavor profile of this homemade soda.
- too sweet - if your soda is too sweet, you can add more soda water to round out the flavor. You can also add a bit of lemon juice to cut the sweetness.
- not sweet enough - if your soda isn’t sweet or flavorful enough, add more pumpkin spice simple syrup to boost the flavor!
⚖️ Scaling Tips
This recipe is perfect for a party! Grab a 2-liter bottle of sparkling water or club soda and pour it into a large pitcher. Next, add in ½ cup of candy corn syrup. Serve immediately to a crowd at a Halloween party!
Prepping for a party? You can pour out a little bit of soda water from the 2-liter bottle, then fill it back up with candy corn simple syrup. Then, you can stash it in the fridge until your party!
You can even create custom labels on your computer for your sodas for a really fun presentation!
🔆 top tip
Always start with less syrup than you think you’ll like in your soda, then increase the amount from there. You can always add more, but you can’t take it away!
Missing an ingredient? No problem. Check out these tried-and-true substitutions, or comment below with your question. I’m here to help you troubleshoot!
- sparkling apple juice - you can add in a splash of sparkling apple cider to give this soda a flavor similar to a certain Wizard from Hogwarts. 🧙♀️
- ginger ale - you can substitute ginger ale for soda water, but your final soda will be quite sweet.
- club soda - you can swap club soda for seltzer water or sparkling water with little to no effect on flavor.
Feeling like a rebel?! 😈 Feel free to stray from the recipe card using these variations, or leave me a comment with your own!
- cream or milk - Add a splash of heavy cream or milk for a creamy soda like this strawberry Italian soda.
- alcoholic - Turn this into an adult beverage by adding a shot of vanilla vodka or spiced rum to the mixture.
- ice cream float - Add a scoop of vanilla or caramel ice cream for a real sweet ice cream treat!
🧰 equipment needed
- cocktail mixing spoon - a cocktail spoon is an optional piece of equipment that will help you mix up the flavors easily!
- drinking glass - I like to use a glass that has a 16 ounce capacity, so I can fit a whole can of sparkling water without having leftover. You can use a smaller more festive glass if you like!
- straw - you can get really festive with your straws, adding a layer of fun for your friends and family. I love using these silicone straws from GIR co. They clean up easy, are dishwasher safe, and come in so many fun colors. Some even glow in the dark! 👻
Since this beverage is bubbly, it doesn’t store well for an extended amount of time.
If you do need to store it, you can do so in a bottle with a stopper that can accommodate carbonation. Just be careful when you open the bottle because the pressure may have built in the bottle.
Do not plan to store it for more than 24 hours.
Use plain, unflavored sparkling water, seltzer water, or club soda for making homemade soda pops. Do not use sparkling mineral water or tonic water as they have additional minerals and ingredients that can change the flavor profile of the finished beverage.
Yes! Always be sure to follow your manufacturer's instructions when using a homemade soda water machine.
Since the soda is carbonated, it doesn’t last long after serving. It’s best to serve this soda immediately after making it or store it in a bottle that can accommodate the carbonation. Do not store it for longer than 24 hours to maintain maximum bubbles.
If you make this recipe, please leave a review in the comments and a star rating!
I read every single comment! I also love connecting on social media, so snap a pic and hashtag it #myrecipeforfun and tag me on Instagram, TikTok, or pin this recipe on Pinterest!
Pumpkin Spice Soda
- 1 ounce pumpkin spice simple syrup
- 12 ounces soda water
- ice to fill glass
- whipped cream optional topping
- pumpkin spice mix optional topping
- Fill your preferred glass with ice.
- Pour 1 ounce of pumpkin spice simple syrup into the glass.
- Add soda water to the glass, filling until it is full.
- Garnish with whipped cream and a dash of pumpkin spice.
- Drizzle on additional pumpkin spice simple syrup if desired, and serve immediately with a straw.
🧯food safety & other information
Food safety is an important ingredient in any recipe for success! Here are some tips to keep you safe in the kitchen!
- Always wash your hands before handling food or beverages.
- Use caution if you are storing this soda in a bottle. Carbonation can build up and cause pressure within the bottle. Open carefully.