Recipe testing hundreds of cocktails over the years really gives you a good idea of what works and what doesn't. Something that almost always works in cocktails is citrus and berries! The only thing better than a cold glass of lemonade is a glass of bubbly, effervescent, spiked sparkling blueberry vodka lemonade!
This delightful spring cocktail was inspired when I cooked up a batch of my blueberry simple syrup. The next beverage that was born was this blueberry lemonade, and it was so, so refreshing. Over the weekend, I had a thought...what about adding lemon vodka and replacing the still water in the lemonade with lemon sparkling water?! Well, it turns out...it was a great idea!Jump to Recipe
💕 why you'll love this sparkling blueberry lemonade recipe
🍋 zesty & refreshing. If you’re a fan of lemonade, you’re going to love this bubbly and effervescent blueberry vodka version of lemonade!
🥳 party perfect. This recipe is a great option to be made in a large batch because it’s easily scaled up or down. Imagine yourself showing up to a barbecue or pool party with a pitcher of these cocktails in hand!
🎛️ easily customizable. This recipe is easy to customize and can even be made into mocktails by excluding the alcohol. This is a great way to include everyone in the party, whether they drink or not!
What is better than a fresh, flavorful cocktail? One that also comes together quickly!
- fresh blueberries - you'll need a few handfuls of fresh blueberries for this cocktail. If you can only find frozen berries, that's okay, too! Just be sure to let them thaw before using them so you can muddle them well.
- blueberry simple syrup - the recipe for this homemade blueberry syrup makes about 16 ounces, so you will have some leftover for other beverages, or you can make a pitcher of these cocktails for a party!
- lemons - fresh lemon juice helps to flavor this cocktail and lemon slices serve as the perfect garnish.
- lemon vodka - I love Absolut Citron for this cocktail. It's got the perfect lemon flavor that is heightened by the other ingredients!
- lemon sparkling water - I used San Pellegrino Limonata sparkling water and it was *so good* in this cocktail! You can use your favorite lemon sparkling water, but if you can find this one, I highly recommend it! You can also use plain unflavored sparkling water, too.
- fresh mint - a few sprigs of fresh mint are perfect for garnishing this beverage!
This cocktail comes together quickly and can be made in batches if you like!
Step 1: Combine blueberries and blueberry simple syrup in a cocktail mixing glass, and muddle the berries with the syrup.
Step 2: Add in freshly squeezed lemon juice, then follow with the lemon vodka. Give the mix a good stirring in the cocktail glass.
Step 3: Fill your chosen cocktail glasses with ice, and toss in a few blueberries for garnish.
Step 4: Fill each glass about ½ to ⅔ full with your cocktail mix, then top with lemon sparkling water. Garnish with a slice of lemon and serve!
💡 tips and tricks for getting it right
🍽️ Serving Tips - Think outside of at-home-happy hour! This bubbly blueberry vodka cocktail would be perfect at a brunch or lunch gathering! Serve this sparkling blueberry vodka lemonade at your next spring or summer party, or when you're channeling warmer days! You can also leave out the vodka and serve this as a mocktail.
ℹ️ Troubleshooting Tips - Muddling the berries might seem like an unnecessary step, but it helps to add even more blueberry flavor to this cocktail. Make sure to use fresh lemon that is ripe for the best flavor. If your drink is too bitter or sour, you can add in more syrup to offset the acidity in the lemon.
⚖️ Scaling Tips - This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for a party! If you are making it for a gathering, I suggest juicing a few lemons first so you have all the ingredients on hand. You can mix the blueberry simple syrup, vodka, blueberries, and lemon juice first. Then, add the sparkling water just before serving to keep the beverage as bubbly as possible.
🔆 top tip
If you are preparing your blueberry simple syrup at the same time you want to make these beverages, make the syrup first to allow it to cool slightly before making these drinks.
Missing an ingredient? No problem. Check out these tried-and-true substitutions, or comment below with your question. I’m here to help you troubleshoot!
- regular vodka - if you do not have a bottle of Absolute Citron at home, you can make this cocktail using plain vodka. Add in 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to give your vodka a little lemon flavor in this case. 😏
- rum or tequila - if you aren't a vodka fan, it's okay! You can make this blueberry lemonade cocktail to your liking by subbing in rum or tequila!
- other berries - no blueberries? No problem! You can make this recipe using other berries you have, or other berries that are on sale at your local grocery store!
Feeling like a rebel?! Feel free to stray from the recipe card using these variations, or leave me a comment with your own!
- frozen - add some ice to a blender and blend it with this vodka lemonade for a frosty treat.
- still - use still water in place of sparkling for a bubble-less lemonade cocktail.
- mocktail - skip the vodka for a mocktail version of this drink!
The right tools make the job easier, so here is what you need to make this cocktail!
- cocktail glasses - use whatever glasses you have on hand for this cocktail, like a rocks glass or a highball glass. Here is a link to the super fun squiggly glasses as seen in the photos!
- citrus juicer - if you're only making a few cocktails, use a simple and small citrus juicer, like this manual citrus press or this small manual tabletop juicer. You can even use a citrus reamer like this one, or just squeeze the lemon slices by hand. If you are in the market for a larger, more powerful countertop juicer, I recommend an Omega juicer! This is the exact model I have and I am obsessed with it. It is so easy to use and clean, especially compared to some other juicers I've seen and used.
- cocktail mixing glass - a cocktail mixing glass is perfect for muddling in, and serving from. You can also use a cocktail shaker!
- muddler - this cocktail muddler from OXO is the perfect tool for making cocktails. It's a great size for storage, and it's sturdy enough to run through the dishwasher, all while being easy to hold and use.
- cocktail spoon - this long, thin cocktail mixing spoon is perfect for mixing up beverages in your cocktail glass!
This sparkling blueberry vodka lemonade is best consumed shortly after it is made since it has the bubbly effervescence of sparkling water.
If you want to prepare this cocktail in advance, combine all of the ingredients except the sparkling water, and then top each glass with sparkling water before you serve the drinks!
Yes! This beverage would be perfect for a pitcher recipe! Combine all of the ingredients, except the sparkling water, in a pitcher. Add the sparkling water just before serving, to keep the beverage bubbly! Alternatively, you can whip up a batch of blueberry lemonade and add vodka and sparkling water or club soda!
No way! While the absolute citron works *beautifully* in this vodka cocktail, you can substitute in your liquor of choice. Tequila or rum would also work nicely!
You can make this in a cocktail shaker or a regular glass if you don't have a cocktail shaker. The wider, flatter base of a cocktail mixing glass just helps provide a more even muddling and mixing environment for the drink! It's also great for making more than one drink at a time.
Blueberries are typically in season from late March or early April to June or July, depending on where you live. It is a-okay to use frozen berries in this beverage! While this is the perfect spring or summer cocktail, you can also enjoy it year-round, thanks to frozen berries!
While making your own homemade blueberry syrup will 100% boost the flavor of this cocktail, it's possible to make the drink without cooking up a batch of syrup. You can muddle in a teaspoon of sugar per two drinks, or use agave or honey instead. Simply muddle in the sweetener of your choice with the blueberries and lemon juice, and you're good to go!
Absolute Citron is lemon flavored vodka. It is perfect for using in lemon-flavored cocktails, like this sparkling blueberry vodka lemonade.
If you make this recipe, please leave a review in the comments and a star rating!
I read every single comment! I also love connecting on social media, so snap a pic and hashtag it #myrecipeforfun and tag me on Instagram, TikTok, or pin this recipe on Pinterest!
Sparkling Blueberry Vodka Lemonade
- 2 oz blueberry simple syrup
- ¼ cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- 2 oz lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 4 oz vodka Absolut Citron, recommended
- 6 oz sparkling water San Pelligrino, Limonata, recommended
- Combine the 1 ounce of blueberry simply syrup, ¼ cup of fresh blueberries, and 1 ounce of lemon juice in a cocktail mixing glass.
- Muddle the mixture, making sure to really smash up the blueberries well to macerate the fruit and combine the flavors.
- Add in 2 ounces of Absolute Citron vodka, and mix well using a cocktail mixing spoon.
- Fill a cocktail glass with ice, and pour the mixture ⅔ full into the glass.
- Top with 4 ounces of sparkling lemon water, and garnish with a few blueberries, a slice of lemon, and a sprig of mint. Serve immediately.
Food safety is an important ingredient in any recipe for success! Here are some tips to keep you safe in the kitchen!
- Always enjoy alcohol responsibly, and never give alcohol to anyone under 21 years of age. For more information about responsible alcohol consumption, click here.
- If you are planning to store this soda in a bottle with a stopper, be careful when opening the bottle. Carbonation can cause the contents to erupt if shaken excessively.
- Use caution when slicing lemons. Always practice proper knife safety and make sure your cutlery is properly sharpened. It may sound counterintuitive, but dull knives are more dangerous than sharp knives. Check out some knife safety tips here.